The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped organ located just below the Adam’s apple in the neck. The thyroid gland is filled with an iodine-rich protein called thyroglobulin along with the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and small amounts of triiodothyronine (T3).
Every cell in the body depends upon thyroid hormones for regulation of their metabolism. Thyroid diseases occur about five times more frequently in women than in men. Pregnant women are especially at risk for hypothyroidism.
Which test should I do to measure my Thyroid?
Tests to diagnose and monitor hypothyroidism include: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Free T4 (fT4), Free T3 (fT3), Reverse T3 (rT3), Thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOAb), Thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb).
Which Nutrients Support Thyroid Health?
· Iodine. Iodine is required to synthesize thyroid hormone. Found on our WOMEN DAILY and MEN DAILY FORMULAS.
· Zinc. Zinc supplementation normalized T3 and T4 levels. Found on our ZINC MAX FORMULA.
· Iron. One study showed subjects with subclinical hypothyroidism were more likely to be iron deficient than the control group. Found on our IRON MAX FORMULA.
· Vitamin E. Several preclinical studies indicate vitamin E may help reduce oxidative stress caused by hypothyroidism. Found on our VITAMIN E FORMULA.
· Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a family of related retinoic acids including retinol and beta-carotene, and deficiencies are associated with thyroid dysfunction. Found on our WOMEN DAILY and MEN DAILY FORMULAS.
· Vitamin D. Research has shown that the lack of vitamin D in people with an underactive thyroid may lead to memory and focusing problems. Found on our VITAMIN D FORMULA.
· Vitamin B12. Low thyroid hormones can affect your body's vitamin B12 levels. Found on our WOMEN DAILY and MEN DAILY FORMULAS.
· Copper. Rat studies showed that copper-deficient mothers gave birth to T3-deficient infants. Found on our WOMEN DAILY FORMULA.
· Selenium. Selenium is a necessary component of the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. Found on our WOMEN DAILY and MEN DAILY.
· DHEA. Patients with hypothyroidism may have significantly lower levels of DHEA than people with normal thyroid function. Found on our DHEA 10 and DHEA 25 FORMULAS.
· Pregnenolone. Patients with hypothyroidism may have significantly lower levels of Pregnenolone than people with normal thyroid function. Found on our PREGNENOLONE FORMULA.
Your practitioner can help you choose what supplements are the best for you.
Quick Thyroid Supplement Reference for Thyroid Support:
Every cell in the body depends upon thyroid hormones for regulation of their metabolism.